Friday, April 19, 2013

I Am The Colorado River.

I have run these canyon for six million years
I have traveled from the rocky mountains to the deserts
Through scorching heat and freezing cold
From the land of the dinosaurs to fields of food. 
I lend my hand to seven states,
Two countries,
Nine national parks,
And 36 million people across an arid west. 
I am not the strongest,
Or the largest,
But I am the hardest working. 
People love me.
My playfulness,
My beauty,
My power,
My life. 
But I don't think I can offer anymore.
I am tried, tapped, and tied.  
Of the hundreds of major rivers in the world,
I am one of the few who no longer kisses the sea.  
Battles to harness my soul have been won and lost. 
Use me wisely, and I will sustain you.
Use me like you have, and I will break
My name is Red, the Grand Red River, the American Nile, the Canyon Maker. I am the Colorado River. And I am the most endangered river in America. 
Become part of the solution.
AmericanRivers.org/Colorado 
American Rivers created an epic, awe inspiring video that leaves me scared, very scared. I've said this before and I will say it again, we are in a battle to save our fresh water sources. I don't know who will win, but I thank American Rivers for all that you do to protect the rivers that feed me, nourish me, and provide me and my family with life.

To view Sarah's middle grade fiction book click here: Paperback and Kindle 

No comments: