Sunday, February 19, 2012

Sunday Goodness: THE MUSTN'TS


You cannot go wrong with Shel Silverstein, especially this one:

LISTEN TO THE MUSTN’TS

Listen to the MUSTN’TS, child,
Listen to the DON’TS
Listen to the SHOULDN’TS
The IMPOSSIBLES, the WON’TS
Listen to the NEVER HAVES
Then listen close to me –
Anything can happen, child,
ANYTHING can be.
Shel Silverstein, Where the Sidewalk Ends, Harper and Row 1974 

When I set out to write The Ancient Realm there were so many “MUSTN’TS” in my mind:
Dyslexics “DON’T” write…
So when I went to college, I studied Accounting—a major that requires a minimum amount of writing.

It’s next to “IMPOSSIBLE” to become a successful author…
So I gave up my dreams of wanting to write a book and went to work at the Securities and Exchange Commission.

You “WON’T” get published in this market…
So I let my book that I poured my heart and soul into sit on my desk and collect dust for five years.

I am guilty of listening to, and much worse, believing in the “MUSTN’TS.”

So many times we blame society for creating the “MUSTN’TS,” or even our parents, teachers, or peers. But more times than not, we have created the “MUSTN’TS” in our own heads. The “MUSTN’TS” are our own fears that act as roadblocks on our pursuit of our true passions.

When I decided to publish The Ancient Realm I made the choice to shove the “MUSTN’TS” out of mind. It is still yet to be determined if I am any good at writing. I am not a successful author yet. And to get published, I had to do everything myself. But for one of the first times in my life, I didn’t listen to the “MUSTN’TS” and instead created the “ANYTHING” is possible if you believe it is—a much happier mindset.

I still get scared that I’ve made a fool of myself – that The Ancient Realm will never become a successful book – that I have wasted years of my life pursing a dream I have no chance of ever succeeding at. But being scared is a far better feeling than being frustrated every time I saw The Ancient Realm collecting dust on my desk.

Do me a favor, listen to the ANYTHINGS and together with me we can work our butts off at trying to succeed. 

To view Sarah's middle grade fiction book click here: Paperback and Kindle 

No comments: